Sunday, February 11, 2007

Choices!

If I could only be two places at the same time! On Saturday evening, I attended Portland Opera's production of "Norma," but I had to miss the Astoria Festival Chamber Players concert because it also took place on Saturday evening. If only I could've detached one of my ears (like Mr. Potato Head) and placed it in concert hall at the Scottish Rite Temple while at the same time attending the opera at Keller Auditorium! Fortunately, I got to hear a terrific "Norma" with the incredible Brenda Harris in the lead roll as the conflicted Druid priestess. Unfortunately, I missed listening to William Preucil, concertmaster of the Cleveland Orchestra, Amy Schwartz Moretti, Joel Belgique, and the other top notch musicians in a special fund-raising concert for the Astoria Music Festival.

Since I write reviews of Portland Opera performances for Opera magazine, I had to witness the tragedy of Druid nation unfold at the Keller. But dang! To miss Preucil in a rare Portland appearance is practically a tragedy for those of us who are addicted to great music.

In the meantime, I found out from Fumino Ando, Oregon Symphony violinist, that her colleagues violist Jennifer Arnold and principal tubist JaTtik Clark have been in Detroit to play with the Sphinx Competition Orchestra. That's wonderful!

Back to Portland Opera -- if you want to hear a great rendition of Bellini's bel canto masterpiece, don't hesitate to purchase tickets to the two remaining performances.

No comments: